Learn the ayurvedic massage technique that will keep your skin healthy and immune system strong as the weather gets cooler.
Ayurveda is the oldest healing science. It originated in India more than 5,000 years ago. One popular ayurvedic technique is called abhyanga, self-massage with oil. This technique helps to detoxify your body, improve circulation and enhance immune function.
Try this wonderful healing technique with the following steps. I recommend using a natural or organic body oil. I like using the Argan Oil & Raw Shea massage oil from the SheaMoisture Body line.
- Begin by running some hot water over the bottle of oil to warm it up.
- Pour a generous amount of warm oil onto your scalp and work in the oil, massaging your head and scalp with small circular strokes, as if you are shampooing.
- Moving to your face and ears, massaging more gently. Proceeding to the front and back of the neck.
- Energetically massage your arms, using a circular motion at the shoulders and elbows, and back-and-forth motions on the upper arms and forearms.
- When massaging your chest and stomach, use a gentle circular clockwise motion over the belly and a straight up-and-down motion over the breastbone.
- Then, gently reach around to your back body and massage as best as you can without straining.
- Energetically massage your legs as you did your arms, using circular motions at the ankles and knees, back-and-forth motions on the long parts.
- After massaging your legs, spend extra time on your feet, top and bottom, massaging back and forth on the soles of the feet.
Your body will benefit from this massage and so will your mind. It is recommended to make it atleast a weekly ritual.